[OSGeo Africa] Census Shape Files

Calle Hedberg chedberg at telkomsa.net
Sat Dec 1 09:18:31 PST 2012

Grant,

StatsSA did not release enumeration area data after the Census 2001, only
the Small Area Layer (= clustered EAs) with a very limited set of results in
2003. They have once again asked for inputs / requests related the SAL, so I
guess the SAL 2011 will be released some time next year, and that will once
again be the only high-granularity data sets released.

Given the controversies surrounding some of the results - especially the
very significant (~17%) increase in fertility among all population groups -
there might be further delays. New mid-year estimates for 2001-2020 are also
likely to only be released in Feb/March next year, and I'm not sure how well
they will fit the census data...

Otherwise, Adi, thanks for the upload - saved me a trip to StatsSA.

Regards
Calle