[OSGeo Africa] New electronic system for Deeds Office ( plus other legislation )

Peter Newmarch newmarch at land-surveyors.com
Tue Aug 20 13:09:36 PDT 2013

Chris,

There has been so much politics around the land question - some probably
false and some probably true. Which is the right and wrong parts is
anybody's guess. The debate will rage on for a long time while everybody
is still fixated on race. To get the true facts and figures I do believe
an independent body / commission is needed and yes, in all likelyhood
one will have to get owners to fill in there race details. One can no
longer rely even remotely on surnames as an indication of race.
Companies and CC's have their own complexities as well - how will they
as an owner be classified ? or what about trusts ?

Such racial profiling would have to involve some form of classification
- how white is white and how black is black etc... - besides which I
think it would have to involve a change to the constitution as well as
various amendments to UN charters that SA has signed.

If one talks about righting the wrongs of the past - one will also have
to differentiate between say blacks who where discriminated against
versus the born frees who where not discriminated against (many are now
coming of business age and will start purchasing property).  So one may
even have to have sub groupings of Blacks, Whites, Indians, Coloureds
etc.. etc... There is also issues around a huge number of people of
different colours who have acquired SA nationality after working here,
how will they be classified and counted in the whole land question.

There are just so many variables, it can only work if Home Affairs,
Cipro and the stock exchange is also on-board - the legislative
complexity around this are enormous.

Personally I don't see it happening, or if it does happen it will be
another meaningless count as there are so many issues such as above
around this issue. A better approach might be to base such figures on
land claims - at least this is a process based on proof (at least in
theory anyway).

Thats my two cents worth.

Regards

Peter