[OSGeo Africa] Using south-orientated CRSs for GIS in South Africa

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 13:03:10 PDT 2013

Very topical point Frank

Now that EPSG and proj4 have codes and implementations for the
south-facing LO/Hartebeesthoek94 system, it's all well and good except
as you say most GIS practitioners use north-facing, which we should not
call 'LO' at all. I wish EPSG had set up the north facing series instead.

If you get coordinates from a surveyor they are likely to be
south-facing, otherwise not, probably because GIS has not been able to
handle south-facing till recently?

In my early GIS days if we got south-facing data, we'd flip it to
north-facing manually before continuing.

There's a bit of a blocker in QGIS 1.9 at the moment where, if you
define a north-facing LO CRS (which I prefer to call something like
'SouthAfricaTM19' instead of 'LO19'), it forces '+axis=wsu' into the
definition, which makes it south-facing. I've filed a bug report [1]
about this, hoping it gets fixed before 2.0 is released.

I'm working in Lesotho now on parcel data which is in north facing TM
(on the Cape datum still), though survey data comes in south-facing. The
LO/Cape datum series is also in EPSG now, but also only as south-facing :-(.

[1] http://hub.qgis.org/issues/8487

Gavin