[OSGeo Africa] Getting data from Stats SA

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 11:21:15 PST 2013

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me.

I've been trying to get submunicipal level data from Stats SA for weeks
now. Apparently I need permission for this level of data from one Trevor
Oosterwyk in the Pretoria office. Unfortunately he hasn't responded to my
email I sent last week Monday and getting him on the phone has proven
impossible for 3 days.

I have the GIS boundaries that I need, it's just the actual data tables
that I'm missing so that I can join them to the polygons.

The only submunicipal level data that I could find on the Internet is the
CSIR's GAP data, but unfortunately they don't have all the variables I'm
interested in and their data is slightly old for my  purpose.

Specifically, I'm looking for the following data for Gauteng (2010 or
later) at enumeration area (or at most suburb) level:

1. Income
2. Access to basic services (water, electricity, housing, sewage)
3. Population
4. Rate of urbanisation between now and 2001.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this data out of Stats SA, or
finding it somewhere else? Municipal IQ is not an option - too expensive.

Thanks
Hanlie