[OSGeo Africa] Getting data from Stats SA

Helene Verhoef HeleneV at statssa.gov.za
Wed Jan 23 23:06:05 PST 2013

Good morning,
On www.statssa.gov.za is a schedule of when what will be released.
Data on small areas is due end March 2013.
Suggestion: Follow the instructions to request information - response will most likely be better.
All the best,
Helene

Ms Helene Verhoef
Manager: Geographic Frames
(Place Names & EAs)
Statistics South Africa
Tel: +27(12) 310 8952
Fax: +27(12) 310 8915
Cell: +27 082 888 2521

Private Bag X 44
Pretoria 0001
South Africa

A bend in the road is not the end of the road...
unless you fail to make the turn.

Have you visited Stats SA's new-look
website, STATS ONLINE?  Log on to
www.statssa.gov.za and feel the power of
statistical information at your fingertips!

>>> Gavin Fleming <gavin at afrispatial.co.za> 1/23/2013 11:26 PM >>>
based on my experience from the previous census and I believe this one
is similar:

If you get the full data DVD / download at some point it will consist of
the sub-place, main-place and larger boundary shapefiles, with IDs.
These will likely be different from the previous census after
redistricting.

It will also have the data in proprietary SuperCross format, as well as
a free SuperCross viewer installer. You use SuperCross to set up
cross-tabulations, filters, aggregations, etc that you want, then export
them. Then in a GIS you can join them to your boundary layers to map them.

The data are usually aggregated to sub-place level as EA level data are
deemed too sensitive and non-anonymous to release unless with special
permission.

When and how this will all be released by StatsSA is another story...

It *should* all be available on demand via OGC web services. In a few
years when they've switched to a FOSS infrastructure I'm sure that's
what we'll get.

On 23/01/2013 21:21, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me.
>
> I've been trying to get submunicipal level data from Stats SA for
> weeks now. Apparently I need permission for this level of data from
> one Trevor Oosterwyk in the Pretoria office. Unfortunately he hasn't
> responded to my email I sent last week Monday and getting him on the
> phone has proven impossible for 3 days.
>
> I have the GIS boundaries that I need, it's just the actual data
> tables that I'm missing so that I can join them to the polygons.
>
> The only submunicipal level data that I could find on the Internet is
> the CSIR's GAP data, but unfortunately they don't have all the
> variables I'm interested in and their data is slightly old for
> my  purpose.
>
> Specifically, I'm looking for the following data for Gauteng (2010 or
> later) at enumeration area (or at most suburb) level:
>
> 1. Income
> 2. Access to basic services (water, electricity, housing, sewage)
> 3. Population
> 4. Rate of urbanisation between now and 2001.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this data out of Stats
> SA, or finding it somewhere else? Municipal IQ is not an option - too
> expensive.
>
> Thanks
> Hanlie

regards