[OSGeo Africa] Tshwane illegally requesting tender for ESRI software

Gavin Fleming gavin at afrispatial.co.za
Tue Jun 4 03:34:56 PDT 2013

Hi All

See details of tender CB111/2013 in this doc:
http://www.tshwane.gov.za/Business/Lists/Tenders/Attachments/473/CB111%202013.pdf

According to the Govt FOSS policy, Govt entities may not request tenders
for specific software. They have to request tenders for a solution, thus
allowing diverse suppliers to tender and in this way giving the
opportunity for FOSS suppliers to tender. In due course FOSS will become
obligatory but for the time being tenders have to be open while the FOSS
supplier base builds up.

What's the point of this being a public tender if there is only one
supplier?

I invite you to object or join me in objecting as well as in submitting
alternative bids consisting of FOSS solutions.

--
regards

Gavin

Gavin Fleming