[OSGeo Africa] FW: FOSS vs ESRI and other GIS issues

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Wed Jun 5 05:03:03 PDT 2013

On 5 Jun 2013 at 13:19, Llewellyn Gush wrote:

> Hello Walt

> Just read your RANT on OsGeo

> It is really sad when a person considers themselves "computer literate"
> when they can use Word & Excel and then not even do Styles or formula's
> more complex than simple addition - they use them as a glorified
> typewriter.

>  is a fact that our educational institutions are doing a very poor job of
> skilling students to really be computer literate. This has come about
> mostly due to the penetration and exclusive use of a proprietary vendors
> solution, which was given to educational institutions for free

    NO
    No-one I know of gets any [commercial] GIS or Remote Sensing  software
    for "FREE"

    Educational institutions are under incredible pressure to conform to
    demographics and PASS STUDENTS !

    Obviously the word has gone out and Geography ( GIS ) students numbers
    are increasing -- but without any increase in budgets or staff. Some
    institutions are bordering on "bankrupt"

    Blame the system !  ( and those that control education )
    and
    Students who have lost the ability to think and act for themselves.

    CM