[OSGeo Africa] FOSS vs ESRI and other GIS issues

justman suh justmansuh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 04:59:07 PDT 2013

Hi All, (A Students Opinion)
My opinion and concerns are very much in-line with that of @Ray. I am a
student currently in the Free State. The issue of Government employing
graduates to perform GIS tasks is one that baffles me as well.
Very limited training (Semester Modules) are offered by the university and
to make matters worst, it is a Proprietary Software (ESRI's) that is being
widely used for training. This results in limitation of fellow students to
purchase and practice with the Software.
Now that this TOPIC is making the rounds yet, i will suggest that
Universities around the Country make use of FOSS (Compulsory) in training
students as well as ESRI's (Maybe Optional).
I pride myself that i took the initiative to take up training in Quantum
GIS some two years ago (I was still in my Second Year @University). I was
discussing with our Student Assistant (A senior Honors Student doing GIS)
and he openly admitted he didn't know about Quantum GIS. I had to give him
the FOSS and Tutorial notes. This shows how narrow a graduate leaves a
tertiary Institution with a B.Degree and yet doing an Honors degree and
knows nothing about FOSS programs.
If in-efficiency is to be blamed on Young Government Employed GIS Techs or
Administrators, I believe the BLAME AND SHAME should go Maybe entirely to
the Tertiary Institutions (Maybe) and Education Department for having a
poor/narrow Curriculum Requirement.
I guess its time this Group, GISSA, SSAG and other Related Organizations
can advocate for Continuous trainings at Tertiary Institutions with FOSS
and or the Need for GIS to be offered  as a COMPULSORY YEAR Module in
Varsities not SEMESTER offerings. Besides GIS WEEK is barely known by
Students in various Education and Training Institutions, talk less of their
engagement to activities thereof.
I think WE need Student forums across the Country especially when it
concerns FOSS and their uses.

Good day All
Justman