[OSGeo Africa] FOSS vs ESRI and other GIS issues

Chris chris at airphotoafrica.co.za
Wed Jun 5 05:42:38 PDT 2013

On 5 Jun 2013 at 13:59, justman suh wrote:

> Hi All, (A Students Opinion)
> it is a Proprietary Software (ESRI's) that is being
> widely used for training. This results in limitation of fellow students to
> purchase and practice with the Software.

    ESRI provide a FULL version of the ArcGIS advanced with a ONE year
    licence for registered students. ( A two disk set in which one disk is a
    full TUTORIAL )

    Your academic supervisor can also sign you up for courses at the ESRI
    online campus -- for FREE !

    There are also extensive tutorials and trainng material online.

    Your University library should also have ESRi Press educational and
    traing books on the shelves

    In short -- there is NO excuse for not being able to access resources or
    being able to help yourself

I   am not knocking FOSS but rather lazy or uninformed students
    ( and their academic staff )

    CM