[OSGeo Africa] South Africa Cadastral Data

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Wed Oct 2 07:43:09 PDT 2013

Hi Walter,

On 2 October 2013 13:22, Walter Smit <walter.s at sa-solutions.co.za> wrote:
> Hi Grant
>
> I can only speak for the Northern Cape and Freestate provinces - where the
> SG makes all their data freely available on the web. And you can already
> overlay it over several sources of aerial imagery (NGI, Google, Bing, topo
> maps). Loosely based on Openlayers. The SG data displayed there are
> automatically linked to the SG office internal system - updates run every 2
> weeks.
>
> You can register and access it here:
>
> http://spisys.gov.za/ - click on the Public View link.

Impressive site. Pleased to see OpenStreetMap (I am part of the OSM
sysadmin team*) and my CD:NGI aerial imagery site listed as layers.

*: We are all volunteers.

> We could share the vector layers with you via WMS -if we get approval from
> Dept Rural Development (under which CD:NGI and SPLUMB fall).

WMS wouldn't be sufficient. I want to get access to the
unprocessed/un-rendered lines + polygon data. I have a few ideas for
analysis.
OpenStreetMap already has a basic data sharing agreement with CD:NGI
via Dept Rural Development.
I wonder how Google got the data.

Regards
 Grant