[OSGeo Africa] converting shapefile to get Google extent

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 18:11:33 PDT 2013

Hi Solly,

I get the following values for the extents in the two coordinate
reference systems:

WGS 84: xMin,yMin 22.7357,-34.2139 : xMax,yMax 30.1947,-30.0018

EPSG:3857: xMin,yMin 2530931.00,-4057554.48 : xMax,yMax 3361260.85,-3503781.21

So the coordinates you gave are in WGS 84 decimal degrees, not the
Google projection (our two sets of values are probably slightly
different because we're not using the same shapefile; I'm using the
Municipal Demarcation Board's data).

To reproject the shapefile from WGS84 to Google projection, I
right-cllicked the file, selected Save as... and clicked Browse... in
the CRS section.

Then I typed EPSG:3857 into the Filter text box and saw WGS84 / Pseudo
Mercator in the description. I selected that CRS (only one should be
visible) and clicked OK.

When you open the reprojected shapefile and zoom to the layer (without
reproject on the fly enabled), you should see coordinates in the range
I quoted above.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Hanlie