[OSGeo Africa] Request for research methodology

Phelokazi Bezu bphelokazi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 03:48:49 PDT 2014

Good day all

I am an honors student at the University of Fort Hare, I am working on a
research project which involves mapping gullies in a small village in
Queenstown South Africa. I am struggling with a research methodology and I
would kindly request suggestions and ideas on an appropriate research
methodology.

I intend to use both qualitative and quantitative methods for my project.
Currently what I have done is I have collected GPS coordinates from the
study area and measured the gully width and depth from the points that I
have taken coordinates from. I have also conducted interviews with 15
community members. So now I am planning to use those coordinates to map the
area using ArcMap and digitize the gullies. The area approximately covers
31.812 hectares. Because I do not have a background of have GIS I am
struggling I do not know if I am in the right direction or not. Your
suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Kind Regards
Phelo

--

*Bezu P*