[OSGeo Africa] Request for research methodology

Christel Hansen christeldhansen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 07:03:27 PDT 2014

Hi Phelo!

It sounds like an interesting study.  You've already started by taking GPS
coordinates and these can easily be imported into GIS. Which program are
you using?  If it is ArcMap (which Fort Hare should have) put your
coordinates in an Excel spreadsheet.  Use latitude and longitude.  Just
remember that your latitude should be negative.  Then add the spreadsheet
in ArcMap and select 'display XY coordinates'. Chose WGS84 as your
coordinate system and the program will do the rest for you.  You can add
the depth as Z coordinates and display these in 3d maps. Once you have
imported all these parameters you can then use the program to calculated
width, volume and length.

You should also use aerial photography or satellite imagery to digitise the
gullies. This will allow you to determine the entire length of the gullies.
If you can get a time series of images (images taken in different years)
and digitise the gullies for each image you can then determine change of
gullies with time.  You'll then be able to see if the gullies have gotten
worse over time ito size, number and volume.

Good luck with your project!

Kind regards,

Christel Hansen
PhD Student

PrGIScP (SA)
M.Sc. Geography (Rhodes University)
B.Sc. Environmental Analysis and Management (University of Pretoria)
B.Sc. Geoinformatics (University of Pretoria)

Cell: +27-82-733-7666