[OSGeo Africa] Problem with QGIS2.4 on Unubtu 12.04

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 04:02:04 PDT 2014

Hi,

I installed QGIS 2.4 on Unbuntu 12.04 from the qgis.org precise repositories.

It worked fine until I installed the OpenLayers plugin. Now when I
open QGIS Desktop, I get the splash screen but the main interface
doesn't open. qgis.bin sits in the System Monitor using about 50 MB of
RAM, but I can't see the GUI anywhere.

I have completely removed QGIS (apt-get purge and deleted the .qgis
directory in my home folder) and reinstalled, but the problem
persists.

I have also tried Google with no luck; not sure what I should search
on except what I have mentioned here and obviously have tried.

I was wondering if it's possible to revert to QGIS 2.2 to see if that
works, but it seems to me the only way to do that is to compile from
source and I don't really want to do that. One reason to like
Windows... :-)

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks
Hanlie