[OSGeo Africa] Problem with QGIS2.4 on Unubtu 12.04

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sun Jul 13 15:03:28 PDT 2014

Hi Hanlie

On 13/07/2014 13:02, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed QGIS 2.4 on Unbuntu 12.04 from the qgis.org precise
> repositories.
>
> It worked fine until I installed the OpenLayers plugin. Now when I
> open QGIS Desktop, I get the splash screen but the main interface
> doesn't open. qgis.bin sits in the System Monitor using about 50 MB
> of RAM, but I can't see the GUI anywhere.
>
> I have completely removed QGIS (apt-get purge and deleted the
> .qgis directory in my home folder) and reinstalled, but the
> problem persists.
>
> I have also tried Google with no luck; not sure what I should
> search on except what I have mentioned here and obviously have
> tried.
>
> I was wondering if it's possible to revert to QGIS 2.2 to see if
> that works, but it seems to me the only way to do that is to
> compile from source and I don't really want to do that. One reason
> to like Windows... :-)

Have you got the latest OpenLayers version installed? I have version:
1.3.3 and it works fine for me on QGIS 2.4 and master.

Can you try with a blank project in 2.4 adding e.g the OL google layer
- - i.e. determine if it is the plugin on its own that is causing QGIS
to hang, or a side-effect of using the OL plugin in tandem with some
other layers.

Regards

Tim