[OSGeo Africa] Shapefiles of African Settlements and conservation areas

Charles Rethman rethman at me.com
Wed Jul 16 04:59:39 PDT 2014

Dear Aslam,

I have the parks for Botswana, Namibia and maybe the other two (I'll have to dig). I have the towns polygons for BW and NA as well.

Of possible interest to you, I also spent a long time fixing the official national and sub-national boundaries from each SADC member state so that the polygon mosaics are valid and do not overlap or leave gaps. I also have a few useful SQL routines that create a AEA and LCC projections for each member state and the provinces (where they are not tiny) as well as a routines that generate grids and frames in GCS that are nice to overlay onto projected maps for coordinates.

I used to work full time on a SADC project and I tried to standardise as much as possible their data (with limited success!), so your work in this regard is valuable.

You're welcome to any of it, my contact details are below.

All the best,

Charles Rethman