[OSGeo Africa] GIS Honours

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Sun Mar 16 23:49:14 PDT 2014

Hi,
If you are considering a career in GISc (in South Africa), especially if
you already have a degree, can I strongly suggest that you consider
registering yourself with PLATO in one of the GISc categories.

For your existing degree(s), get the transcripts (not your results, but
the details of the course contents for the courses you have completed).

Go to http://www.plato.org.za/4regnotesprof.php *_and click on the GISc
tab_* - Near the bottom of this page you will find links to the "Self
Assessment Tool".
Use this tool to compare the course contents you have completed, against
the ones that are required for PLATO registration. You will likely have
to take (say) one of your courses and split them content percentage-wise
across more than one PLATO knowledge area. This is to be expected, so
filling in the self-assessment tool is not a 5 minute exercise.

Note that the UNIGIS courses are accredited for PLATO registration
_*dependent on your underlying degree*_. This dependency is because the
UNIGIS courses are post-grad courses.
Contact UNIGIS for further info.

Note that you do not have to study at a PLATO-accredited learning
institution in order to attain PLATO registration. It is just that if
you have studied elsewhere, you will need to do a laborious comparison
of your courses against the PLATO requirements using the self-assessment
tool, which will (may) highlight deficiencies. Such deficiencies can
usually be filled in with single "top-up" course.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Zoltan

On 2014/03/17 08:08, Mfundi Mathunjwa wrote:

> Hi, Please try UNIGIS (Port Elizabeth)
>
> Regards,

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za