[OSGeo Africa] Surveyor General Diagram - Mapping property boundary points

Dr Wesley Roberts wesley at biocarbonpartners.com
Mon Sep 29 06:20:12 PDT 2014

Hi Sarel,

Many thanks for the input. I have found the specific EPSG and as before the
same location appears to have different coordinates to those specified on
the surveyors diagram. I think I am missing a step here. Based on Zoltans
response I think I need an intermediate step to get the points into the
correct location, is this correct?

So, my workflow is

1.       Generate text file with X and Y coordinates

2.       Open in QGIS using delimited text file import

3.       Assign a suitable projection to the mapped points (LO19 Cape Datum)

………An intermediate step……… <- Think of the maths cartoon where the prof
says “and then a miracle happens”

4.       Re-project to WGS 84\

I am still lost when it comes to the north facing vs south facing
projection and how I get the proj to match the coordinates on the SG
diagram. Could this not al be a change in the constant?

Regards,

Wesley

[image: Email_Signature]

Wesley Roberts, PhD