[OSGeo Africa] Surveyor General Diagram - Mapping property boundary points

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Mon Sep 29 06:32:48 PDT 2014

Hi All,
The "missing step" is the Datum shift.
If you do it manually, then the sequence is "Cape Lo19 to LatLong
<=Datum shift=>LatLong to Harte94 WG19"
If with QGIS you specify your original CRS n Cape Lo19 and your Tagert
CRS on Harte94 WG19 the QGIS should handle the Datum shift, and it will
seem transparent to you.

The "Survey Convention" is South Africa is to use the "Lo" prefix to
suggest Cape Datum, and the "WG" prefix to show WGS84, Harte94 Datum.
The numeric value after the "Lo" and the "WG" is the longitude of the
central meridian.

HTH,
Zoltan