[OSGeo Africa] GISc assistant research officer position

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 07:22:54 PST 2015

ummm Julian, where's the FOSS GIS in this position?

Surely as a University you should be training people with FOSS to focus
on theory and to empower them when they leave?

How about listing some FOSS experience as being advantageous incl:
Opticks, OTB, GRASS, QGIS etc. ?

We need to build RS capacity in SA and the most accessible tools to do
that with are FOSS.

Gavin

On 18/02/2015 14:24, Julian Smit wrote:

> The position below is advertised on the University of Cape Town
> website and may be viewed at
> http://www.uct.ac.za/about/intro/vacancies/external
>

> The African Centre for Cities invites applications for an Assistant
> Research Officerto undertake research on *“intra- and inter-urban land
> use / cover change trends” in three smaller cities in Kenya, Zambia
> and Zimbabwe*. The ideal candidate will have expertise in
> geo-information sciences (remote sensing and geographic information
> systems).
>

> *Requirements: *
>
> ·         A master’s degree in an area of study relevant to the
> proposed research within the past five years (Geomatics, Geography,
> etc. with a geo-information sciences focus).
>

> The following would be advantageous:
>
> Knowledge and familiarity of the following geo-information sciences
> software
>
> o     ESRI ArcGIS
>
> o     Trimble eCognition
>
> o     Exelis ESRI
>
> o     Hexagon ERDAS Imagine
>

> *Responsibilities:*
>

> ·         Conducting relevant background research;
>
> ·         Collecting, and assisting in analysing, the land use / cover
> data for the case study countries / cities;
>
> ·         Managing a geographical information system for the project’s
> spatial database.
>

> Travel to the case study countries / cities may be required.
>
> The successful candidate must be willing to execute a specific
> schedule of research tasks.
>

> Regards
>
> Julian
>

> *Prof. Julian Smit <mailto:%20Julian.Smit at uct.ac.za>**__*
>
> Associate Professor (Geo-Information Science) / Head of Division
>
> Geomatics Division <http://www.geomatics.uct.ac.za/>
>
> School of Architecture, Planning and Geomatics <http://www.apg.uct.ac.za/>
>
> Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
> <http://www.ebe.uct.ac.za/>
>
> University of Cape Town <http://www.uct.ac.za/>
>

> Tel. +27 (0)21 650 3573
>
> Fax. +27 (0)21 650 3572