[OSGeo Africa] Recent main place or sub-place spatial data for SA

Calle Hedberg chedberg at telkomsa.net
Mon Aug 1 13:56:24 PDT 2016

Francois,

What layer to use depends on the purpose.

I’ve looked at all the three layers Helene sent me now:

-          Main place layer with around 14,000 polygons, including names

-          Sub-place layer with over 22,000 polygons, including names and including population count (although 1.3 mill less than the Small Area Layer)

-          The Small Area Layer with over 90,000 polygons, without names but including population count (1.3 mill more than SP layer).

For the purpose of establishing a standard list of know “localities” that patients can use to describe where they live, SAL is useless – it only have numbers/codes. The SP layer is far better than the MP layer here, because the “main places” are too generic/large in many cases, especially urban areas. Take a look at this example from Tshwane – it should be obvious that the SP-names (sub-places) are far more useful as location names than the main place name (Akasia). People will know they live in Akasia, of course, but they will more typically say they live in Amandasig or Heather View or Rosslyn if asked where they live. Since the main purpose of capturing their address and “location” would be to possible send out case investigators to check for other disease cases or look for nearby ponds etc where the mosquitos breed, the more local the better.

_SP11_Pop

SP_CODE

SP_NAME

MP_CODE

MP_NAME

799037017

Amandasig

799037

Akasia

799037010

Chantelle

799037

Akasia

799037012

Clarina

799037

Akasia

799037018

Heather View

799037

Akasia

799037016

Heatherdale AH

799037

Akasia

799037014

Hesteapark

799037

Akasia

799037011

Karenpark

799037

Akasia

799037004

Klerksoord

799037

Akasia

799037019

Ninapark

799037

Akasia

799037003

Onderstepoort Nature Reserve

799037

Akasia

799037002

Rosslyn

799037

Akasia

799037001

Rosslyn Industrial

799037

Akasia

799037005

The Orchards

799037

Akasia

799037007

The Orchards Ext

799037

Akasia

799037009

The Orchards Ext 11

799037

Akasia

799037006

The Orchards Ext 21

799037

Akasia

799037008

The Orchards Ext 24

799037

Akasia

799037015

Theresapark

799037

Akasia

799037013

Winternest AH

799037

Akasia

In cases where you want e.g. population break-downs for non-standard areas – like health sub-districts in the metros, which often don’t follow ward boundaries – the SAL is clearly superior. So it’s all about purpose....

Again, my apologies if the thread is getting into too much detail – but these challenges are common when trying to use generic spatial data sets of varying granularity and with varying degree of attribute data for special purposes like tracking diseases...

Regards

Calle