[OSGeo Africa] Recent main place or sub-place spatial data forSA

Lydia du Toit Lydiadt at mweb.co.za
Tue Aug 2 00:05:38 PDT 2016

Thanks for the info

-----Original Message-----
From: Calle Hedberg
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2016 8:16 PM
To: 'Africa local chapter discussions'
Subject: Re: [OSGeo Africa] Recent main place or sub-place spatial data
forSA

Hi,

Just a follow-up of my inquire about this earlier today:

1. Helene Verhoef from StatsSA provided me with the relevant layers earlier
this afternoon. EXCELLENT service - my type of GIS expert :-)

2. She also told me that anybody visiting a StatsSA office can get a copy of
the Small Areas data set, released in 2013, onto their laptops (my
impression was that it's been distributed internally on 3 DVDs, which
probably means that it is too much data for normal downloads). Furthermore,
something of high relevance for e.g. the Malaria program and others working
with local communities and residences/dwellings: StatsSA has coordinates for
around 14 mill dwellings in the country - probably around 90%+ of the
total - and successfully used some months back for the Community Survey
2016. Bona Fide users (like other government departments) can thus use the
same data set as a basic framework for their work with households/dwellings.

3. Finally, Helen also told me that AfriGIS has digitized all the postal
areas in the country - I will contact them about access/cost.

If all the above is known stuff, I apologise - but if not, others might find
the info useful.

Regards
Calle