[OSGeo Africa] Albers Equal Area projection datum WGS84

Gavin Fleming gavin at kartoza.com
Sun Jul 31 09:42:10 PDT 2016

Hi Heidi

On 31/07/2016 17:51, Heidi Van Deventer wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I have an ArcGIS 10.3 geodatabase with feature classes in a custom projection of South Africa:
> Albers Equal Area prj with WGS84 as a datum.
QGIS tries to match an incoming CRS with one it has on record and if it
can't you'll have to provide one.

So, in Settings->CustomCRS, create one called, say 'Albers SA' with your
custom parameters.

Here's one, for example, that I use when working with the whole of South
Africa:

+proj=aea +lat_1=-24,241886157 +lat_2=-32,715290215 +lat_0=0
+lon_0=24,670537409 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs

Then choose it when you load those layers or, after you've loaded them,
go the General tab in their layer properties and set the CRS to your new
custom CRS.

hth

Gavin

> When I try to open this in QGIS 2.8, I get an error message that two of the feature classes' coordinate systems aren't recognised, and it therefore does not display at all.
>
> Please advise how I can solve this problem - should I edit it in QGIS ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Heidi
>

> --
>
> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
> The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

Gavin Fleming - Joint MD - PrGISc [PGP1234]
Visit http://kartoza.com <http://kartoza.com/>to find out about open source:
* Desktop GIS programming services
* Geospatial web development
* GIS Training