[OSGeo Africa] How to convert "New Namibia" projection to EPSG 4326 in QGIS

Zoltan zoltans at geograph.co.za
Mon Feb 5 10:14:32 PST 2018

Hi Calle,
As you have correctly noted, the .prj file tells QGIS how to interpret
th embeded "bunch of numbers" [ie: coordinates] in the shapefile geometry.
This means that you cannot simply edit the prj file - you actually have
to change the bunch of numbers inside the shapefile to be latlong values
that are in the correct place in Namibia.
So:

    Simply open a "clean" QGIS, and note that the empty viewport is in
    EPSG:4326 (bottom right corner of QGIS window.
    Drag and drop your shapefile into the Layers Panel (note the bottom
    right CRS should change to your Shapefile CRS)
    right-click your shapefile name in the Layers Panel and choose Save As
    In the pop-up window, check that "Format" is set to ESRI Shapefile,
    Choose a Filename for your LatLong shapefile and change CRS to
    EPSG:4326 - and click OK

Your saved shapefile will now have been reprojected to GCS on WGS84.
To be pedantic, close this QGIS and open a new QGIS, and drag/drop your
saved shapefile into it.

HTH,  (no, not the chlorine product)
Zoltan

On 2018-02-05 17:53, Calle Hedberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve received two shapefiles from Namibia – originally from the
> National Statistics Agency, I think – which has the following .prj file:
>
> PROJCS["New_Namibian",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],
>
> PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",600000.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",10000000.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",17.0],PARAMETER["Scale_Factor",1.0],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",0.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]
>
> When I open the file in QGIS and hover over the maps, the coordinates
> shown are clearly projected coordinates.
>
> My problem is that I need the maps in EPSG 4326 (WGS-84, geographical
> coordinates) format, and I’ve been unable to do the conversion –
> changing the value under shapefile->Properties make the shapefile
> disappear.
>
> So I’m doing something wrong – probably something really dumb – but I
> don’t know WHAT….
>
> Anybody able to give me step-by-step instructions on how to re-project
> “New Namibian” back to standard EPSG 4326?
>
> Regards
> Calle
>
> Cape Town

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za