[OSGeo Africa] How to convert "New Namibia" projection to EPSG 4326 in QGIS

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 11:38:24 PST 2018

Hi Calle

If all you want to do is project your layers to 4326 on the fly then you don’t need to re-project them by saving them - you can change your canvas CRS (in the project properties, bottom right corner) to 4326 - that’s all.

For interest, the proj4 projection string equivalent of that prj file is

+proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=17 +k=1 +x_0=600000 +y_0=10000000 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs

Under Settings->Custom CRS you can add a new CRS. Call it ‘New Namibian’ and paste the above in. Then you will be able to use It like any other CRS. It’s simply Transverse Mercator (just like SA’s ‘LO’ system) with some offsets.

Gavin