[OSGeo Africa] Identify coordinate system

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Thu Jul 11 08:52:27 PDT 2019

Hi Listers,
I've been asked o help a school-going daughter of a friend of mine in
Doha (yes, this is "AfricaList" :-/  )
She has been given a shapefile without a projection file. The area is Al
Wakrah, just South of Doha airport.

The numeric values of the geometry coords are around 560000, 2782000 -
the second value looked like a distance from the Equator, so I tried UTM 39N
The scaling seems wrong, and it does not align with the coastline
(QND95) shapefile I have.
(I also tried EPSG:27039)

As you can see, projection-sleuthing is not one of my strengths.
Can anyone point me in a direction to try and solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei GPrGISc 0031
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Qatar:  +974 5083 2722     www.geograph.co.za