[OSGeo Africa] Another illegal GIS RfQ

admire addloe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 02:39:23 PDT 2019

Hi all

On 2019/10/18 09:47, oripfa sigidane wrote:
> Abraham,
>
> I totally agree with you, what I do not understand is that the
> complaint is only related to Esri related tenders. Yet there is a
> tender at SANRAL that mentions another service provider yet the is no
> complaint about it on this forum. So now this begs the question, is it
> a sole attack on Esri? If so why?

I do not think this is sorely an attack on Esri but since they are
enjoying the biggest slice of the cake they  get mentioned a lot. It's
just the nature of life. The same principle applies to open source GIS
desktop software when people refer to QGIS it doesn't mean it's the only
viable option there. Because it is more popular it will be used as a
reference point.

Even if they are not implementing a system from scratch I think it would
still be viable to use an open-source package and some of the money that
could have been used for licenses would be transferred to train the
staff and other relates task i.e (documentation, update features in
software). Projects like QGIS are where they are right now because some
organizations and municipalities that have taken the initiative to dig
into the open-source world irrespective of their prior engagements with
proprietary software.

Open Source GIS always gets flake for lack of support but if you read
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/commercial_support.html you can
see that there are a lot of companies offering QGIS Support.

For the database, you can read the
http://themagiscian.com/2016/11/21/the-simple-and-free-postgis-vs-the-complex-and-expensive-oracle-spatial/.

For a comparison of GIS, Servers read
http://www.digital-geography.com/arcgis-server-vs-open-source-gis-solutions

For a comparison of GIS Desktop solutions
https://gisgeography.com/qgis-arcgis-differences.

The above links showcase that Open Source is well capable of handling
the tasks already being done by other proprietary software. I think the
initial message was just to reiterate that these tenders are not fair
and are exclusionary. GIS should be more about the processes rather than
the software and if the current software follows industry standards (
i.e https://www.opengeospatial.org/standards) then it should not be
difficult to migrate from one setup to the other.

Regards