[OSGeo Africa] SA NLC class shifts per StatsSA region

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 02:47:12 PDT 2019

Hi Chris

Great initiative

I would push the custodians of each dataset to fix the source data they supply else complain to the CSI to hold the custodians to account. And in the meantime just fix it yourself. Taking it through GRASS’s v.clean process will clean it and build perfect topology.

For the SAL that would be StatsSA and for place names I’m not sure who the definitive custodian is or if it’s a combination of StatsSA, NGI, DWA and DAC. DAC is the custodian of geographical place names (e.g. https://www.gov.za/services/place-live/change-names-geographical-names-list) and used to maintain a gazetteer - I had a copy many years ago at the CSIR. Back then it was in a spreadsheet that I had to phone around to have someone send me, which you’d probably still have to do since a link I found, which is where I’d expect it to be, is down: http://sagns.dac.gov.za/

Gavin