[OSGeo Africa] Looking for route names for Northern Cape roads (or all of RSA)

Antony Cooper ACooper at csir.co.za
Fri Sep 17 06:27:40 PDT 2021

Dear Zoltan

The naming of streets is a municipal function, so it is quite likely that there is no official data set of street names.  Further, street names are also not dealt with by the South African Geographical Names Council (SAGNC).

See: https://www.westerncape.gov.za/other/2011/4/handbook_on_geographical_names.pdf

So, your best option is something like OSM for aggregated street names, though these are likely to be added on an ad hoc basis, for selected municipalities with motivated OSM contributors and reasonable geospatial data sets available on municipal web sites.

Alternatively, you can try one of the commercial suppliers of address data, but expect to pay a few million for the whole country.

Regards
Antony