[OSGeo-Announce] FOSS4G 2021 - Collaboration with Group on Earth Observations (GEO)

Astrid Emde (OSGeo) astrid_emde at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 21 13:18:59 PDT 2021

News item:
https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/collaboration-with-group-on-earth-observations-geo/

The Group on Earth Observations (GEO) and the Open Source Geospatial
Foundation (OSGeo) are collaborating around their shared visions of
openness. For GEO this means open data, open standards, and open
science; for OSGeo this means free and open source software.

As such, GEO is pleased to be a key supporter of the largest community
gathering of the open source geospatial community, which will take
place online as part of FOSS4G 2021 from 27 September to 2 October;
the local organizing committee is based in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
GEO is supporting FOSS4G with a 3-day dedicated track on “Open EO”.

FOSS4G is the flagship event of OSGeo and serves annually as the best
scenario to discover the state of the art in Open Geospatial
Technologies. With an annual international gathering, this conference
brings together experts and users with interest in Open Geospatial.

GEO represents more than 110 countries and the European Commission,
working together to advocate, engage and deliver on the value and
usefulness of open Earth observations data and information. It
recognizes that the societal benefits of Earth observations can only
be fully achieved through the sharing of data, information, knowledge,
products and services. To achieve this, GEO operates an international
work programme with more than 65 activities, many with more than 100
partners per activity.

These activities cut across agriculture, biodiversity, climate action,
disaster risk reduction, forestry, freshwater, land, ocean,
urbanisation and other key global areas of interest. Only by working
together can we fully unlock the transformative insights of data and
help address some of the world’s most pressing societal challenges.

Gilberto Camara, the GEO Secretariat Director states:

“As someone who has developed open source projects for decades I am
very pleased that GEO is able to bring together our open Earth
observation community together with the open source geospatial
community during FOSS4G 2021. There are so many common areas for
collaboration in academia, research, policy making and commerce. We
are honored to be able to share our ideas and expertise with this
community and learn from them as well.”

María Arias de Reyna, the co-chair of FOSS4G 2021 states:

“The collaboration with GEO is a natural and organic relationship that
merges the best of our worlds: our software needs good data sources to
run and data needs good software to be useful. I am confident this is
just another step forward in a beautiful friendship.”

Read more about Group on Earth Observations (GEO)
https://2021.foss4g.org/sponsor/partner/geo.html

FOSS4G 2021 (Online)
https://2021.foss4g.org/