[Aust-NZ] Meeting to review budget

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu Dec 20 08:46:10 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 21:46 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Tim Bowden">
>
> > I'd also like to see the govt forum held during the conf- The content
> > there will by and large be part of the conf anyway.  I see it as a
> > packaging exercise to help govt gis people sell the value of the conf to
> > their big bosses, rather than generating substantial new content for the
> > conf. Thoughts?
>
> Cameron and I were talking today about having a one day Government thread
> during one of the normal conference days, with presentations in the morning
> and workshops in the afternoon. Makes it easy to consume, and I imagine many
> Government folks would pay full conference price for just that one day.

+1.  We're thinking along the same lines I think.

> > > * I expect we can bring down the cost of the conference dinner.
> >
> > I'm not sure we need to reduce it /too/ much. If we are to show off
> > Sydney's greatest asset- the harbour, I think it's worth spending
> > something. It's an extra that most international visitors will be willing
> > to shell out for.
>
> This one was about the potential to save by not doing the entire dinner on
> "marine-capable vehicles", but ferrying from Darling Harbour to Luna Park
> and having dinner there. Now *that* would be an amazing introduction to our
> fair city. :-)

Yes, that's an idea I like!  If we use UNSW, we will also have transport
from the uni to Darling Harbour.  We'll have to get an idea of costs
there.  For those who feel the desire, we could also do a walk back to
the city over the coathanger.  Late night bridge climb possibly?  Just
thinking aloud with my keyboard.  For the rest, we need to consider
transport back.

Wiki page for conference dinner:
https://extranet.lisasoft.com/wiki/index.php/Foss4g-sydney-conf_dinner

> Thanks,