[Aust-NZ] FW: FOSS4G (Free and Open Source Software For Geo Spatial) Presented By OSGEO

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Nov 27 19:07:56 EST 2007

Hi all, you never know who is lurking on this list  :)
A few rough comments to help provide a bit more context...

> There were lots of booths for the tradeshow, I think about 50. Amy
> can confirm the number for you.

I think it was closer to 25 or 30.

> We used our
> entire hall for the booths and there was also an internet cafe as
> well.

OSGeo hosted table stands with 4 computer workstations and some sofas
out of one side of our booth.  It wasn't anything elaborate.

> All the meals and breaks were located in the
> tradeshow area. It was a big part of the conference. Our hall is
> 14,000 square ft.

I suspect you'll get some different numbers if you dig into it.  I
believe we only used half the hall, the other half was set up for
plenary sessions.  Meals and breaks were also set up outside of the
tradeshow area.

> They used all of our breakout rooms and used them to the max as well.

That's for sure!

> Amy could send you the diagrams of the ...

Our 2007 committee also has many docs that you might find useful.
Let me know if you need to find some.

> The birds of a feather sessions were located in all of the breakout
> rooms at the end of each day.

Some of our sessions had to end early due to the centre closing.  It
would have been good to have later access to the venue.

> The group used our entire centre for their conference (40,000 sq.
> ft) and they used every last inch.

The only caveat is that half that tradeshow area was essentially
unused except for two half days when the plenary sessions took place
(opening, closing).

> There were over
> 600 people in attendance in the end and the space was a good fit
> for them.

More precisely about 720.

Hope that helps.  Others from our local committee this year have more
information, i.e. Paul Ramsey, but I thought I'd throw a few comments
out there for you in case it helps.

Tyler

p.s. If you haven't already thought about this, please keep in mind
that any emails forwarded/copied to this mailing list will be
publicly accessible.