[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G conf & chapter report

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 19 16:34:18 EDT 2007

At present you are a local group that is in "formation".  It's a fine
line, but to really be able to say you are an OSGeo Local Chapter -
you get all this formation stuff done and then the board acknowledges
you as representing OSGeo.  Think of it as similar to incubation...
you are currently incubating, but when you graduate you become an
officially recognised project.

Note that there haven't been any problems with local chapters, but it
is conceivable that a rogue group could pop up and say they are an
OSGeo group without having anything to do with us our or goals.  At
that point the term 'official' or 'real' becomes more meaningful and
the board would be able to clarify that they are misusing the OSGeo
name, etc.

Hope that helps,
Tyler

On 19-Sep-07, at 1:26 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Tyler,
> What does "formally recognised chapter" mean? How is it different
> to what we have at the moment?
>
> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>>
>> On 13-Sep-07, at 5:47 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to be doing a chapter report at the OSGeo AGM at FOSS4G
>>> (it'll
>>> be short and sweet!) and I think it's a good opportunity if we
>>> ask to be
>>> formally recognised as a chapter of OSGeo.  Any objections?
>>
>> Hi guys,
>> Note that there will be an OSGeo Board Meeting held on Sunday.  In
>> the end, local chapters get approved, officially, by the board of
>> directors when you are ready.  If you are considering asking for
>> some recognition at FOSS4G, then please send a note to the board
>> mailing list describing your intentions in case there are any
>> questions:

>> Hope this helps,
>> Tyler
>>

> --