[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G Day 2

Brian Bishop bishopbr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 02:30:42 EDT 2007

Day 2 at the conference was busy.
The featured speaker Damian Conway, gave a humorous version of the
Opensource elevator pitch, or how to stop suits making stupid buying
decisions.

The hard part was deciding what presentations and labs to attend.
Decided to be serious and go to the Geonetwork Opensource lab, however
some of the presentations looked more fun like "Portable GIS on a
stick", memory stick that is.
Qgis team announced the release of 0.9, getting close to the magical
1.0. The addition of a python api with this release has already
generated interesting applications like OpenOceanMap, which we should
hear more about tomorrow.
The breadth of applications covered with opensource solutions is
impressive, check out this link:
http://www.foss4g2007.org/program_overview/tuesday/

Met an attendee from Banda Ache in Indonesia, involved in earthquake
research, we commiserate about the cold here in Victoria.

Cheers
Brian