[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G

Brian Bishop bishopbr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 01:43:07 EDT 2007

Today was the first day of the FOSS4G conference in Victoria Canada:
http://www.foss4g2007.org

Then OpenSource Geospatial market has plenty of energy, with 700
delegates from all over the world gathered to find out what's
happening in GeoFOSS. That's much bigger
than I expected, with representatives from German, French, American and Canadian
governments whom are big players in the GeoFOSS market, as well as
Google. This translates to the leading projects being reasonably well
funded.
Spent the day attending workshops on PostGIS and Geoserver.
PostGIS is the database of choice for spatial data and its integration
with Mapserver was demonstrated. Geoserver is now bundeled with
Geonetwork, so was interested to see where it fitted into the GeoFOSS
SDI. Was also shown how to present time series data, like sea level
change over time, using Google Earth.
For those of us living on the date line, the bright point was a
demonstration of the Openlayers web mapping client, that scrolled
normal wgs84 (EPSG:4326) projection across the dateline. Still need to
find out if this is more than smoke and mirrors, will keep you posted.

As long as the cold does not get me, will try and post again during the week.

Cheers
Brian