[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G Day 4

Brian Bishop bishopbr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:37:42 EDT 2007

Thanks Chris and Shoaib for taking up the challenge.
I agree that NZ and AU have a lot to be proud of in the Opensource
ecosystem, rsync, samba, moodle, koha are just a few examples. What
has prompted my comment is the number of government and
semi-government organisations from Europe, North and South America,
not only sending representative, but giving presentations at the
conference. For a wealthy democracy, Australian government
representatives are conspicuous by their absence. It has been left to
independent consultants like Tim Bowden and Simon from Melbourne, to
represent Australia at the conference.  Seeing what is happening with
GIS enabled applications at all levels of government in comparable
nations around the world, should help to open up possibilities for
innovation in public administration in AU.

Today was the last day of the conference proper and continuing the
roundup of layers in the GeoFoss SDI,
(for a definition, see this link:
http://geonetwork-opensource.org/documentation/faq/foss-sdi-and-opensdi
)
The hot topic in interfaces were WFS-T and KML.
Mapserver is the mature and robust server with Geoserver being used
for Transactional WFS and KML. Would like to prototype a visualisation
application for time series data, using PostGIS, Geoserver and Google
Earth.
Geonetwork Opensource is moving forward with a code sprint scheduled
for tomorrow.
The database layer is dominated by Postgres/PostGIS, with an
interesting extension by the pgRouting team.

Thats it from me, will attend the Geonetwork code sprint tomorrow
before going back to warm days and smiling faces.

Enjoy