[Aust-NZ] Format questions for 2009 conference

Mark Leslie mark.leslie at lisasoft.com
Tue Jan 8 17:18:04 EST 2008

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:
> IMO:
>
> Cameron,
>
>> 3. We are focusing our spending on "value" items instead of "fluff". Eg,
>
>> use B&W programs rather than glossies, and not provide things like
> satchels.
>
> I understand the need to watch the budget, however I don't want to see us
> miss a marketing opportunity.
>
> Satchels, Glossies, T-shirts, Coffee cups etc will be what keeps the
> message out there once a lot of the delegates return to their offices.
> There will be people who proudly display these items in their day to day
> working lives, providing on going advertising at no cost, particularly if
> we come up with a good logo.
>
> Therefore, I'd be inclined to spend a bit more on quality Polo shirts,
> coffee mugs and selected brochures.
>
> Bruce

As far as satchels, everyone and their dog hands out satchels.  I've
been in the country for three months and I have almost a dozen.  It's
not something anybody needs.  On the other hand, everyone and their dog
hands out t-shirts.  And they actually get used.  Any event I go to, I
expect to chip in a bit for a t-shirt, either included in the cost or
additionally.  Most events either don't give out coffee cups, or they're
terrible ones.  I'm all for having some, but I would make them available
optionally and at cost, and make them decent quality mugs.

Brochures are hard.  Glossy full-colour brochures are certainly much
more attractive, but if we have a brochure that is well designed to be
grey-scale, rather than a nice full colour that we print to grey-scale,
they can look quite attractive themselves.  They will still need to be
glossy; matte grey will never look great.  The will also mean we may
want to design two, somewhat different brochures, one colour for on-line
distribution, and one grey for print.

Mark