[Aust-NZ] Is there any interest in hosting a future FOSS4G? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 14:13:14 PDT 2015

Cairnes would be a nice place to hold a conference. We could throw in a
trip to the reef for the social event. :)

But, the landscape has changed for winning a foss4g event.
Before winning an international event, I'd expect that a conference
committee would expect to see a track record of successful local foss4g
events.
I'd also expect that there would be tough competition from the Asian
regions, likely from India, who have been making great progress, and
possibly also from South/Central America.

Cheers, Cameron

On 22/09/2015 1:46 pm, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> I received the following email from the Cairns Convention Centre.
>
> Before I respond, is there any interest within the AustNZ community
> for hosting another FOSS4G in Australia or New Zealand?
>
> Bruce
>

> From: Cherie Kitto
> Date: Tuesday, 22 September 2015 11:47
> To: Bruce Bannerman
> Subject: Open Source Geospatial Foundation - OSGeo
>
>     Dear Mr Bannerman
>
>     We contacting you with regards to your involvement with the Open
>     Source Geospatial Foundation. We hope you can assist with our queries.
>
>     Our information is the OSGeo hold the annual Free and Open Source
>     Software for Geospatial or FOSS4G meeting most recently in Seoul,
>     Korea last week. It was last held in Australia in Sydney in 2009.
>     We understand that 2016 will be held in Bonn, Germany.
>
>     We would like to enquire if there is any interest amongst your
>     colleagues in Australia to host the FOSS4G Conference in the
>     future? If so, would you consider working with the City of Cairns
>     and the Cairns Convention Centre to lodge a bid? According to the
>     OSGeo website anyone wishing to host the 2017 Conference needed to
>     submit a Letter of Intent by 29 July this year so unless this has
>     already occurred can we assume the first opportunity to host in
>     Australia would be 2018?
>
>     Mr Bannerman, thank you for your time and we look forward to
>     hearing your thoughts.
>
>     Kind regards,
>
>     **
>
>     **
>
>     *Cherie Kitto**l **Research Coordinator** l **Cairns Convention
>     Centre*
>
>     07 4042 4200 (617)*l *ckitto at cairnsconvention.com.au
>     <mailto:ckitto at cairnsconvention.com.au>*l
>     *www.cairnsconvention.com.au <http://www.cairnsconvention.com.au/>
>

>     CLICK HERE <http://www.cairnsconvention.com.au/disclaimer.html>
>     FOR CAIRNS CONVENTION CENTRE TRANSMISSION CONTENT DISCLAIMER

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,