[Belgium] OSM + OsGeo

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 12:15:04 PDT 2017

Hi,

Even though we're natural partners, we don't do that much together. After
the National Mapathon, Jonathan, Maelle and myself had a few beers and a
long talk. It convinced me that we could do more.

I would like to propose two things:

- at OSM Belgium, we use Meetup [1] to organize all our events. But we
publish all of them at our Maptime [2] page too. How about we share the
Maptime page to announce both OSM and OsGeo events?

- Maptime is actually supposed to be about easy events where you actually
learn to do some webmapping. For example, learning how to make a Leaflet
map. We would like to organize a little event where you can learn how to
build a simple map with Overpass-Turbo [3], Umap [4] or Mapcontrib [5]. All
very userfriendly, but still quite powerful. I think it would be an
excellent thing to do together, because we could recruit people that tend
more towards data-collection for OpenStreetMap Belgium and those that are
more interested in open source software for OsGeo.

Also, I think it would be very fun to do.

Because it is within the scope of the Maptime project, we could get Free
Pizza (sponsored by Carto, former CartoDB). Who doesn't like free pizza?

Anyway, share your thoughts, and efforts :)

1: https://meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Belgium/
2: http://maptime.io/belgium/
3: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_turbo
4: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UMap