[Benchmarking] Press Release about the Benchmarking?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 16:49:20 EDT 2009

All, and ESRI in particular,

As FOSS4G chair, I'm keen to put out a press release announcing some of
the early details about the Benchmarking project, as I expect it will
attract delegates to the conference.

The theme for FOSS4G this year is "User Driven", which means making
tools work for the user. In particular, this means making sure that Free
tools can integrate with proprietary tools.

For the press release I suggest mentioning:

* Outline what is involved in the benchmarking tests
* Mention the history
* Who is involved this year
* Some quotes
ESRI saying something like: "Arc GIS server integrates well with Open
Source. It runs on Red Hat Linux, can connect to Open Source databases,
and interacts with clients through Open Standards. We see the
benchmarking as a way to show how ESRI integrates well with other systems."

Mapserver/Geoserver: "Past benchmarking tests have led to (major?)
improvements in different areas of our code ..."

* Finish with general details about FOSS4G.

--

Can I please get some feedback from the participating parties to give
this the go-ahead.

If we get the go-ahead, we can start building the press release in the
wiki here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Releases