[Benchmarking] WFS testing: this year too?

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Wed Jul 29 02:35:52 EDT 2009

Paul Ramsey ha scritto:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Andrea Aime<aaime at opengeo.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> big question: shall we do some WFS testing this year too, or not?
>> Last year the test included a simple test over the "states" shapefile.
>>
>> I think MapServer people would like to show off the WFS speed
>> improvements, right?
>
> Probably. (Actually an interesting test variant would be to do a
> couple Mapserver versions while we're at it... I think I'll do that
> compile so the option is there.)
>
> To change the subject slightly, what rules do we want to have in terms
> of versions. The Mapserver version with the WFS speed improvement
> isn't released yet. I think it'll be released by FOSS4G, but is it
> fair to test pre-release and/or actually patch up code in the midst of
> the benchmarking? Is this a come-as-you-are event, or a bespoke event?

During the past two events I made sure to get to FOSS4G with a
released version, something that anybody could download and use
and try out to reproduce my results (so packaged and whatnot, even
if it was a beta).

But in both cases I tuned GeoServer as I went, up to one/two weeks
before the conference, also meaning I used one day close before the
event to make a release.

This year I want GeoServer 2.0 to participate the competition,
hopefully with a final release. At the moment we are at beta2,
with short term plans to release a RC1 and plans to go final
before FOSS4G.

Cheers
Andrea