[Benchmarking] Presentation abstract and benchmark contents

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Mon Jun 1 11:06:48 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I believe the most urgent thing we need to do, as far as the
presentation is concerned, is to file an abstract of it.
The deadline is June 8, and if we don't have the presentation
accepted, there is no much else to discuss, at least for FOSS4G.

We need an abstract, and we need a set of presenters that will be
there.

For GeoServer, I would be the one. Who's going to put his name
on the presentation for the MapServer side? What about MapGuide or
DeeGree, do we have anyone? (which reminds me, we should invite
from the other sides as well... maybe we should send a mail on
osgeo-discuss).

Abstract wise, I'm not a native english speaker, so someone else
will certainly do better, but here is an attempt:

Title:
Comparing the Performance of OGC web services

Abstract:
This is the third installment of a series of presentations that
compared the performance of Web Map Service at
given at FOSS4G 2007 and FOSS4G 2008.
The presentation seeks to find out the optimal software configurations
and to compare the performance in different real world use cases, such
as large data handling, OSM like rendering, large raster serving and
WFS scalability.

Of course the abstract somehow sets the contents of the presentation.
What will we do this year? I would say, a bit of what was done
last year so that we can compare with last year results, and something
new to keep people entertained.

I would suggest:
- rendering the usual tiger_texas layer over shapefile and postgis.
   Big chunky layer with very simple style. Maybe this year we should
   give up doing non antialised output... or do you think it's still
   relevant?
- kill the states thematic map and go for OSM like rendering of a
   city using OSM data, using shapes and external symbols as needed
- raster wise, maybe again MrSid data, so that we can see MapServer
   progress in that area, and a big(-ish) mosaic of GeoTiff tiles?
   Maybe we can get some of that climatic change data in shape for
   the latter.
- wfs wise, maybe a test with an assortment of spatial and attribute
   filters against a postgis database that has indexes (to see how
   well they are used?)

Anything else you might want to test out? I would leave tile
cache out this year, as the comparison between direct and tile
cached output has been made last year already, so I think there
is one free slot for another benchmark/topic.

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime