[Benchmarking] Test System Specs

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Fri Jun 5 13:54:16 EDT 2009

Jeff McKenna ha scritto:
> And the other option (instead of an EC2 cloud or maintaining the server
> ourselves) is to split the cost of a single hosted dedicated server for
> a few months.  (such as something like www.serverpronto.com)  I prefer
> this option because we'll be guaranteed the specs and don't have to 'get
> the machine' or maintain the hardware in any way.

Seems quite reasonable. A machine with 1.5GB memory should do. We
are considering a Linux machine, right?

Too bad there are no cheap Intel servers, GeoServer won't be as
fast as it could on Athlons (slower MMX).
I've found these that do provide very recent Intel CPU's
and a very beefy machine, but they are more expensive:
http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix/

Someone mentioned interest in SDE/Oracle testing too. That would raise
interest in the audience for sure, but in that case we'd need someone
that already has the two beasts setup. Maybe we can make a presentation
with two tracks, the OS benchmarks and the OS/proprietary integration
ones?

Cheers
Andrea