[Benchmarking] Test System Specs

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jun 5 12:55:50 EDT 2009

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> The only glitch is that this server is a lemon, it suffers from an
> intermittent (hardware?) problem that prevents us from using it in
> production, but it can run smoothly for weeks before crashing, even if
> you make it work really hard, and the supplier could never reproduce/fix
> the issue so we're stuck with it. It could be perfect for this kind of
> benchmarking if I can get it back here, we'd make it available over the
> Net and just reboot it if/when it crashes.

And the other option (instead of an EC2 cloud or maintaining the server
ourselves) is to split the cost of a single hosted dedicated server for
a few months.  (such as something like www.serverpronto.com)  I prefer
this option because we'll be guaranteed the specs and don't have to 'get
the machine' or maintain the hardware in any way.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services