[Benchmarking] Coordination

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Mon Jun 15 13:44:53 EDT 2009

Paul Ramsey ha scritto:
>> - using again the roads layer, what about a style dependent
>>  on the zoom level test? Only highway scaled out, everything
>>  deeper in?
>
> No, I think scale dependence doesn't tell us much.

Consider the following situation:
- highways are always displayed
- other roads are displayed only as the zoom level reaches 1:100000

What can a test jumping between the two levels tell
us? Well, it can tell us:
- if the map server is able to efficiently issue queries to
   the storage so that only highways are retrieved when the
   scale is lower than 1:100000 (e.g. 1:200000)
- that shapefiles are no good for such an exercise because you
   may need indexes on the attributes to quickly find highways?

This may be obvious to us, maybe it's not as obvious to the audience?
Cheers
Andrea