[Benchmarking] library benchmarks in benchmarks

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 18 21:23:11 EST 2010

>>> We have developed benchmarks to test performance (and functionality) of
>>> (Open Source) GIS / Geometry libraries.
>>>
>>> Originally the tests were created to compare our library (GGL, recently
>>> accepted by Boost and renamed to Boost.Geometry) to other libraries,
>>> with respect to performance and functionality.
>>>
>>> However, the test suite is broader than that because it can also be used
>>> to compare for example GEOS and CGAL. Therefore we propose to move it to
>>> the SVN http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking
>>> <http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking/>, it seems to fit there
>>> perfectly.
>>>
>>> It currently compares C++ libraries (geos, cgal, gpc, wykobi, gtl,
>>> terralib, ggl) and a Java library (jts), for the functions area,
>>> centroid, convex hull, intersection, clip (=intersection with
>>> rectangle), simplify, within. But this can be extended.
>>>
>>> There is also a specific test, "starcomb", for more 'challenging'
>>> intersections (done with a selection of the mentioned libraries only),
>>> and "triangle" (intersecting polygons with 1000ths of triangular holes)
>>>
>>> I like to hear opinions if this is found a good idea, and if there are
>>> possibly people interested in extending tests, performing tests and/or
>>> maintenance.

Barend,

I don't have any objection to this being hosted in it's own subdirectory
of the foss4g/benchmarking area as long as it isn't terribly large.  But
it seems quite a distinct activity from the existing "web mapping"
shootout.  I'm not convinced it would end up in the same presentation.

Best regards,