RE : [Benchmarking] data block caching technique

Liujian (LJ) Qian LJ.Qian at oracle.com
Mon Sep 6 15:24:34 EDT 2010

  Hi,
This is just my opinion on how to improve future benchmarks. I think in
order for the tests to be more real-world like, we need to make sure the
total amount of hot data  that went through the rendering pipe is much
bigger than the amount of available physical memory.  So for instance on
a 8GB box we should be rendering 16GB of raw data  for a full run. My
guestimate for this year's vector working set (from those 2152 query
windows) is around 2GB, which as some team discovered can be coerced
into memory cache (at the OS level) with some conscious efforts from its
map server.

Maybe in addition to this large working set, we can devise a smaller one
so that every team is encouraged to cache it in memory, thereby
eliminating any disk boundness.  This will be a good indication of the
raw 'map rendering' performance.  But it probably does not say much
about scalability in a real world situation.

thanks
LJ