Benchmarking Effort - Well done all. Was Re: RE : [Benchmarking] data block caching technique

Michael Smith michael.smith at usace.army.mil
Mon Sep 6 18:32:01 EDT 2010

All,

I think the most important thing from this effort is what we all learn about
our respective software each year. All of these exercise are a little
contrived to actually make it possible.

We could have a 1Tb or 10tb dataset but then we would never be able to
distribute that data set back out for others to run. That's one point I
think we forget in trying to have better numbers in this or that test. We
want these tests and benchmarks to be available for others to run outside of
our environment.

We are also running on servers that have been provided by the US Army Corps
for this effort. If people want to have better servers to test with, then
please, contribute your hardware, your bandwidth, your funds.

This is starting to sound a little harsh and that is not my intention. I
simply wish to say I think that has been an outstanding effort by all
involved. Getting this many people to work together on this effort has been
amazing and rewarding to me and, to the software I use. I hope it was to you
all.

See you tomorrow all and thank you all for your effort, suggestions,
patience and time,

Mike

--
Michael Smith