[Benchmarking] Java scalability issue slide

Liujian (LJ) Qian LJ.Qian at oracle.com
Thu Sep 9 09:58:34 EDT 2010

  I talked to a Java2D folk yesterday, and there is no plan to fix it
(yet).  He suggested using the openJDK's AA rasterizer as a drop-in
replacement for the Ductus one in the production JDK.  And I plan to
test that out, but before I do so just want to ask if you guys already
tried this approach?  I believe you mentioned openJDK is too slow, but
wasn't sure if you were using the whole openJDK stack, or just its AA
rasterizer.

thanks
LJ

On 9/9/2010 6:00 AM, Andrea Aime wrote:
> No, I did not have time to try it out. But I had very mixed
> experiences with it the few times I tried it out, depending on the
> opengl driver that's backing it you can easily kill the jvm as a
> whole. Maybe the situation has improved significantly in the meantime?
>
> If I had infinite resources today I would probably leverage java 7
> pluggable rasterizer architecture to write my own, probably based on
> the antigrain code base (but ported to pure java). Just a thought.
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Liujian (LJ) Qian<LJ.Qian at oracle.com>  wrote:
>> Btw, have you tried the opengl pipeline in Java2D, is it affected by this
>> bug also?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> LJ
>>
>> Andrea Aime wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> among the others I also made a Java scalability issue slide that more
>>> or less involves all Java based systems.
>>> Can I get some feedback about it from MapViewer, Apollo and
>>> Constellation teams as well?
>>> It's the last one in this document:
>>>
>>> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking/scripts/results/2010/geoserver/geoserver.odp
>>>
>>> Cheers