[Benchmarking] Minor questions about mapserver output

Dane Springmeyer dane at dbsgeo.com
Sun Sep 4 14:39:00 EDT 2011

Comparing Mapnik png output to MapServer I noticed at Mapnik output is RGBA and Mapserver is RGB as reported by `file`:

$ file 1_mapnik.png
1_mapnik.png: PNG image, 415 x 514, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced

$ file 1_mapserver.png
1_mapserver.png: PNG image, 415 x 514, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced

Should I try to output RGB png's from Mapnik? I figure I could likely find a way to strip the alpha channel, though I doubt this would make much difference in performance of encoding either way.

I also I noticed that mapserver does not set content-length headers. Curious, is there a reason for this?

Dane